As a heavy user of all things Google, there are occasions when have forgotten to log out of a session. With the increased presence of Chromebooks in schools, students and teachers may run into a similar problem since Chromebooks don’t automatically log you out from your Google account, leaving you vulnerable. Fear not!
Remotely Sign Out from Drive & Gmail Web Sessions
You can remotely log out Gmail and Google Drive from any device to end all open web sessions by following these simple steps:
- Access your Gmail by going to www.mail.google.com
- Scroll to the bottom of the Gmail inbox window until you see “Account Details” which is in very small print at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click “Details”
- You will see all your active sessions displayed
- Click “Sign out of All Web Sessions” which will log you out of any web sessions.
You will have to re-log into any web sessions with your Google username and password to regain access on your devices, since this action will log you out form all sessions. Mobile devices typically access Google Drive and Mail using Apps, which will NOT be logged out using this method.
Remote Sign Out Procedure for Smartphones
The above instructions provide remote sign out for “Web Sessions”. If you have lost your phone and need to log out of Google Apps, you will need to take some additional steps as follows:
- Access your Google Account / Privacy settings by going to https://myaccount.google.com/?hl=en
- Under “Sign-in & security” click “Device activity & security events”.
- You will see a list of recently used devices. Click “Review Devices” to view more details.
- From the list that appears, find the device you want to remotely remove access for Google Apps and click the name of the device. Click REMOVE to revoke access on that device remotely.